Monday, March 5, 2012

Moving along

Crossed the 12,000 word threshold on "The Box" tonight.  We're almost there, folks.  This one's going to go through some editing and then it'll be available.  It seems to be going a little smoother now than it was a couple days ago.  I actually chopped almost an entire scene that just wasn't working.  It was introducing a new element into the story too late, and I just realized I had no idea where I was going with it.  And remembering what I wrote about being lazy and covering up that laziness with action, I decided to do the harder thing and simply ax the entire scene and go in a different direction.  It feels good having done that; even though I liked that new element, I simply didn't know where to go with it after it was started.  Maybe if this were a different project - a novel instead of a story - I might have been able to get away with it and incorporate it into the larger narrative.

But here, there's simply no room for it.

...Which sounds funny when I think that this "short story" is going to end up being twice the length of most of the stories in "Show Me the End of the World."

Current Soundtrack
"Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" by Cliff Eidelman

No comments:

Post a Comment